Friday 7 July 2017

A Fresh New Start


So if you have paid the slightest bit of attention to this blog you will know by now that we are both terrible at posting for any length of time... While with our track record we cannot promise this will change, we are going to try our best going forward.  However onto todays post!  It has been probably been about 10 years or so since I created my ultramarine paint scheme and I feel like it's time for a change...

I do still have some old squads that were built but not painted that need to fit in with each other, so my old scheme won't be disappearing too soon but I have been test painting a new scheme that I hope to start using on the Primaris Marines that come with my shiny new dark imperium box set. 


I have used some old parts on the sprue of an old assault squad to try out different colours and I'm still undecided.  I also just can't quite find the right gold colour, so far it's either too bright and yellow, or too dark and red/brown, I can't quite find that warm, bright, orangey gold. 

However I am now a great fan of recess washes - they save so much time over washings and relayering the whole model.  Nuln oil seems to come through better as a recess wash than the drakenhoff nightshade I was using before (probably because there is less of it).  

I also can't decide between the darker macragge blue armour or the lighter altdorf guard blue - although I expect I will end up going with macragge blue as it both shows up the highlights better and also would match the colour of the vehicles better (oh and of course they are the boys in blue from macragge so there's that too.

I think to properly make my mind up I'm going to have to paint a couple of whole models.  So many changes happening between 8th Edition and a new paint scheme, YoshKa will be back in a few weeks after he's been on holiday and I in the mean time are going to attempt creating painting tutorials for major space marine chapters using the tactical squad from my Kill Team box - we'll have to see how that one goes...

Bye for now, 
Crodon

No comments:

Post a Comment